Friends' Two Cents for Those Who Have Decided to Quit Alcohol
Mankind is known to use various addictive substances since ages, both for relief from various health problems and for recreational purpose. Arguably, alcohol is one of the oldest substances that are still being abused. In fact, the consequences of drinking alcohol are only worsening with the course of time. Across the world, larger populations are displaying problematic behaviors than ever before.
Alcohol dependency, binge drinking, etc. are some problematic behaviors which could occur when one starts drinking too much and too frequently. Its adverse impact on physical and mental health is also known well. According to the 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 136.7 million Americans aged 12 or older admitted that they were drinking alcohol. Of them, 65.3 million people indulged in binge drinking in the past month, while 16.3 million Americans admitted to heavy drinking.
When a person craves for alcohol too often or has trouble going about regular activities without it, it is a warning sign of getting dependent on one of the most abused substances. It should be a wake-up call for such people before it is too late, and seek immediate help to get rid of the habit of drinking. Listed below are some advices one could give to a friend or a loved one as the latter decides to quit alcohol:
- Quitting alcohol is good for health. Once out of the habit of alcohol, a person finds more time to devote to friends and family.
- Though alcohol is treated as a social drink and most people consume it, there are still many who are teetotalers. If someone decides to quit drinking, he/she is certainly going to get a company.
- Alcohol is an expensive and time consuming habit. Therefore, it is always a good choice to quit or take a break, as one would not only save money but also time, which can be utilized in pursuing other interests and hobbies.
- Quitting alcohol can make life much simpler as it takes away the worries of arranging the next drink.
- Quitting alcohol leads to improved health and reduces the risks of developing lifestyle diseases like diabetes or hypertension.
- It is better to inform near and dear ones about the decision to quit alcohol consumption. For example, when parents and spouse are informed about the decision, they may follow suit or at least refrain from serving liquor at family gatherings where he/she is also in attendance.
- Whether one shouts from the rooftop to inform one and all about quitting alcohol or takes small but important measures such as ordering a mocktail or staying away from booze parties, it matters a lot when the person is out with friends who order alcohol.
- It is always good to have supportive friends around after deciding to kick the bottle. Such friends can help one deal with the situations where alcohol is in abundance.
Though it's important to realize the need to quit alcohol for a better and healthy life, merely deciding to quit drinking is not enough. It must be followed by expert guidance, detoxification and complete recovery to keep alcohol at bay in future.
If you or a loved one is dealing with an alcohol abuse problem, reach out to the 24/7 Alcohol Abuse Helpline. Their representatives can help you in locating one of the finest alcohol abuse treatment centers near you. Call at their alcohol abuse helpline number 866-480-6873 for more information alcohol addiction treatment.
Article Source: ArticlesFactory.com